DIY Styrofoam Head Project

I was at Hobby Lobby the other day, which is a shocker I know!  Hobby Lobby is doing something new these days and providing little pamphlets that offer different ideas for crafting projects.  I saw the image below and thought, what a great idea, but I could do it better!  I just happened to have a Styrofoam head at home to work with, so I went home and got started right away.

I love decoupage so this was right up my alley!

This was my Hobby Lobby inspiration!

The thing I didn’t like about the example the pamphlet showed, was that the way the paper had been torn seemed so random and because of that, the features of the Styrofoam head were pretty obscured and the yellowish color of the music sheets made it seem dirty.

For my version I choose three different kinds of black and white paper, one that leaned more to the white side and two that had more black in them.  I cut them into strips that were pointed at one end and than widened out so that they resembled very long, thin triangles. I then prepared a water white glue mixture soaked them and conformed them to the head.

I mostly used the whiter paper so the blacker paper would stand out.

I mostly used the whiter paper so the blacker paper would stand out.

I had to use some matte modpodge while it was sill wet to make sure the paper stayed on tightly.  I made a kind of starburst pattern with the pointy ends of the triangles meeting around the nose region and then filled in from there. To finish the back and sides I used more rectangular pieces.

Once I had covered it completely I let it dry and then realized that I could do more with the really dark, black paper to create designs on the figure.

After I added more black designs but before I added the lips.

After I added more black designs but before I added the lips.

Once I finished adding more definition around the eyes and on the sides, I decided to add some lips to really make the features clear.

It's perfect for displaying my DIY fascinator from my wedding!

It’s perfect for displaying my DIY fascinator from my wedding!

I love the way it turned out and I will use it as a prop for taking good product photos of the fascinators I want to add to my Etsy shop.

I think it's beautiful and who knows, maybe I will make some more of these to sell as well!

One last photo!

I think it’s so beautiful I might make a few more as décor or perhaps to sell!  Let me know in the comments if you would buy one!

Tin Can Upcycle Decor

To start off I removed the labels from the cans and painted them white with house paint.  I liked the spotty paint job, it made it seem antiqued so I didn’t do a second coat.

House paint is thicker and stayed better than acrylic or craft paint.

House paint is thicker and stayed better than acrylic or craft paint.

I used craft paint and stamps to apply the decorations.  The craft paint was thin enough to work with the stamps really well.  I used a brush to apply the paint to the stamps and that created less mess than dunking them in paint like you would on a stamp pad.

The craft paint worked better than the acrylic.

The craft paint worked better than the acrylic.

I started with several stamps but the butterfly and vintage stamp got the best results.

DSC00561

Paper plates: the poor man’s palette!

I think they came out super cute!  I do want to work on a polka dot one as well once I get the right brushes.

Maybe try mixing and matching the colors!

Maybe try mixing and matching the colors!

Now I use them to organize my many craft supplies.  Cute and functional, my favorite combination!

DSC00559

Sunshine Shelves – Thrifty DIY Tutorial

My inspiration from bhg.com.

My inspiration from bhg.com.

I came across the picture above on pinterest and fell in love with how bright and beautiful the shelves were, but the Ikea VITTSJO shelves were $79 each.  That is way too steep for a girl that mostly shops at thrift stores!  I combed the internet for a cheaper alternative and found the Edsal shelves below for $26.87 on Amazon.

$26.87 on Amazon for these industrial shelves.

$26.87 on Amazon for these industrial shelves.

I bought the paint bhg.com suggested from Walmart for around $3.50 a can and needed 8 cans total. 

I needed 4 cans per shelving unit.

I needed 4 cans per shelving unit.

I painted and put the shelves together two different ways.  With the first shelves I painted all the pieces and put them together as soon as they seemed dry.  Bad idea!  The pieces all got scratched as I was putting them together and because I was trying so hard to not scratch the paint, the pieces fit really wonky.

Notice how the vertical pieces are kind of bent and the shelves don't seem straight.

Notice how the vertical pieces are kind of bent and the shelves don’t seem straight.

The next set of shelves I put together completely and then laid them on their side and painted them.

Spoiler alert!  Don't lay them on their sides to paint.

Spoiler alert! Don’t lay them on their sides to paint.

This worked great for the sides and support pieces and the front and back but when I painted the actual shelf pieces it dripped all over the place.  Still the second shelf results were better than the first.

Much better and straighter than the first attempt.

Much better and straighter than the first attempt.

For best results I would suggest standing the shelves upright for painting or painting all pieces individually, waiting a day or so till they are completely dry, assembling the unit and then touching up any scratches at that point.

Even with the issues I love the way the shelves turned out and they definitely brighten up the living room!

Sunshine Shelves

Sunshine Shelves: Total cost around $82!